The Information We Collect
Through the Services, you can, among other activities, order publications and products; engage in various activities like entering contests or sweepstakes, playing games, taking quizzes, voting in polls or otherwise expressing an opinion; subscribe to one of our services, such as newsletters; or participate in one of our online forums or communities. We collect the information, including any personally identifiable information, that you provide to us in the course of using the Services. The types of information that may be collected through these Services include, but are not limited to: name, address, gender, e-mail address, telephone number, fax number and credit or debit card information.
We may also collect information about your personal or professional interests and your use of, or opinions about, various products, programs and services. For instance, we may ask you to identify your job or industry to qualify you for free business magazines.
Through some features of the Services and through certain promotions, you can submit information about other people. For example, you might submit a person’s name, mailing and/or e-mail address to send a gift or electronic greeting card. The types of personally identifiable information that may be collected about other people at these pages include: recipient’s name, address, e-mail address and telephone number.
We , our partners, advertisers, advertising networks or other third party service providers, as explained further in the “Collection of Information by Third-Parties” section below, may also collect certain non-personally identifiable information when you visit our web pages, open our emails, use our applications, or otherwise use the Services, including such information as the type of browser and operating system you are using, your IP address, your device identifiers, your Internet or wireless service provider, location-based information , and the content and advertisements you have interacted with, viewed, or accessed. This data may be combined and linked with data from other sources.
How We Use the Information
- We may use the information you provide about yourself or others to fulfill requests for our publications, products or services, to respond to inquiries about offerings and to offer other products, programs or services that may be of interest.
- We may combine information we receive with outside records and share such information with third parties for use on our behalf to enhance our ability to market to you those products or services that may be of interest to you.
- We may disclose personally identifiable information that we receive from you and from third party sources to third parties whose practices are not covered by this privacy statement (e.g., other marketers, magazine publishers, retailers, participatory databases, and non-profit organizations) that want to market products or services to you.
- When you request a magazine, service, or other product, we will forward the information you give us to the publisher or provider to the extent necessary to fulfill your request. They may contact you with special offers of possible interest.
- We sometimes use this information to communicate with you, such as to notify you when you have won one of our contests or sweepstakes, when we make changes to subscriber agreements, to fulfill a request by you for an online newsletter, or to contact you about your account.
- If you choose to submit content (e.g., a “letter to our editors” or an online review), we may publish your name, screen name and other information you have provided to us. You hereby consent to this.
- The information we collect in connection with our online forums and communities is used to provide an interactive experience. We use this information to facilitate participation in these online forums and communities and, from time to time, to offer you products, programs, or services.
- We sometimes use the non-personally identifiable information that we collect to improve the design and content of our publications and websites, and to enable us to customize your Internet experience. We also may use this information to analyze site usage, as well as to offer you products, programs, or services.
- We will disclose information we maintain when required to do so by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. We also may disclose such information in response to a law enforcement agency’s request.
- Please note that if SpeakTravel Corporation or any of its subsidiaries or lines of business is merged, acquired, divested, financed, sold, disposed of or dissolved, including through merger of, consolidation, sale or divestiture of assets, the relevant customer database, including personally identifiable information we may possess about you, may, in whole or in part, be sold, disposed of, transferred, divested, or otherwise disclosed as part of that transaction or proceeding.
If you prefer not to receive traditional mail or other off-line promotions from this or any other SpeakTravel Corporation property, or if you want to opt-out of any sharing of your personally identifiable offline information with third parties not owned by SpeakTravel Corporation, please click here.
If you prefer not to receive e-mail marketing from this or any other SpeakTravel Corporation property, or if you want to opt-out of any sharing of your email address with third parties not owned by SpeakTravel Corporation, please click here.
We will not use or transfer personally identifiable information provided to us in ways unrelated to the ones described above without also providing you with an opportunity to opt out of these unrelated uses.
Your Privacy Rights: Notice to Customers
USA “Shine the Light” law, Civil Code section 1798.83, requires certain businesses to respond to requests from USA customers asking about the businesses’ practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Alternately, such businesses may have in place a policy not to disclose personal information of customers to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes if the customer has exercised an option to opt-out of such information-sharing. (Note: SpeakTravel Corporation sites do not recognize the “do not track signals” that some browsers may employ.) As discussed above, if you wish to opt-out of our sharing of your information with third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes offline please click here, or for email please click here. To find out more about your opt-out rights, please contact us as described in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
Collection of Information by Third Parties
Some of our Services contain links to third party sites and services whose privacy practices may be different than ours. We also allow you to connect with other third party sites and services. You should consult the other third party sites’ and services’ privacy notices in order to better understand their privacy practices.
We sometimes may offer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, editorial features, or other activities or offerings that are sponsored or co-sponsored by or presented with identified third parties. By virtue of your participation in such activities or offerings, your IP address and the personally identifiable information that you voluntarily submit may be provided to both the SpeakTravel Corporation site and the third parties. SpeakTravel Corporation has no control over the third parties’ use of this information.
Note regarding Market Research/Ratings: Our Services may also feature Nielsen’s proprietary measurement software which may contribute to market research, like Nielsen’s TV Ratings. To learn more about this information, please click here. Nielsen’s software may collect your choices with regards to it.
We also may use certain recognition services by our partner LiveRamp. To opt out of such services by LiveRamp, please visit https://liveramp.com/opt_out/.
Cookies and other Tracking Technologies.
We may place “cookies” on your computer or device. Cookies are small text files that we place in your computer or device to store your preferences. Cookies, by themselves, do not tell us your e-mail address or other personal information unless you choose to provide this information to us by, for example, registering with one of our Services. Once you choose to provide us with personal information, this information may be linked to the data stored in the cookie. A cookie assigns a unique numerical identifier to your Web browser or device, and may enable us to recognize you as the same user who has used our Services, and relate your use of the Services to other information about you, such as your usage information and personal information.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can set your browser option so that you will not receive cookies and you can also delete existing cookies from your browser. However, you may find that some parts of the site will not function properly if you have refused cookies or similar tracking technologies and you should be aware that disabling cookies or similar tracking technologies might prevent you from accessing some of our content. However, your viewing of editorial content may be hampered. If you wish to block cookies, go to http://www.allaboutcookies.org/ to find out how, or check your browser’s instructions.
Some of the tracking technologies we use include:
- Local Shared Objects: Local shared objects, such as Flash cookies, also may be stored on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate a lot like cookies, but cannot be managed in the same way. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For information on managing Flash cookies, for example, see http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html.
- HTML 5: HTML5, the language some Web sites are coded in, may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Service usage activities. This information may be retrieved by us to help us manage our Services, such as by giving us information about how our Services are being used by our visitors, how they can be improved, and to customize them for our users.
- Cache Cookies: Cache cookies, such as eTags, may be used to identify your computer or device as the same computer or device that visited a Service or Services in the past.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or by our service providers or partners on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to you, and relate your Service usage information to other information about you, including your personal information. We may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including both personal information and Service usage information, and use such information along with offline and online information obtained from other sources (including third parties) such as demographic information and updated contact information (where that information has been lawfully disclosed to us) for the purposes of learning more about you so we can provide you with relevant content.
Our Commitment to Security
We have put in place appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security and correctly use the information we collect. No system can be completely secure, however, and we do not guarantee that unauthorized disclosures and access will not happen. Although we take appropriate measures to safeguard against unauthorized disclosures of information, we cannot assure you that personally identifiable information that we collect will never be disclosed in a manner that is inconsistent with this
Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Personal Information
We will take reasonable steps to accurately record the personal information that you provide to us and any subsequent updates.
We encourage you to review, update, and correct the personal information that we maintain about you, and you may request that we delete personal information about you that is inaccurate, incomplete, or irrelevant for legitimate purposes, or are being processed in a way which infringes any applicable legal requirements, by contacting us as set out in the “How to Contact Us” section below. At our election, instead of deleting such information, we may retain it with your comment or correction noted in our records. By contacting us, you may also object to our further use of your personal information if you have compelling legitimate grounds (this may involve closing your account). We may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details before we are able to provide you with any information, correct any inaccuracies, or delete any information. Your right to review, update, correct, and delete your personal information may be limited, subject to the law or your jurisdiction: (i) if your requests are abusive or unreasonably excessive, (ii) where the rights or safety of another person or persons would be encroached upon, or (iii) if the information or material you request relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between you and us, or providing access to you would prejudice negotiations between us or an investigation of possible unlawful activity. Your right to review, update, correct and delete your information is subject to our records retention policies and applicable law, including any statutory retention requirements.
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information while you have an account with us and thereafter for as long as we need it for purposes not prohibited by applicable laws. Thereafter, we will either delete your personal information or de-identify it so that it is anonymous and not attributed to your identity. Your rights to request that we delete your personal information are set forth in the “Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Personal Information” section above.
Special Note for Parents
The site you are visiting is one of the SpeakTravel Corporation general audience sites and is not intended for use by children. For more information about our online privacy practices for children’s sites, consult the privacy notice at the children’s site in which you are interested.
How to Contact Us